The people of the house
Home › Owners & People
Their record
Island House Restoration Ltd traced the owners and people who lived in Island House from 1778 to the present day, from factual sources, working without access to local archive services during lockdown. Their record begins in 1778.
What our research adds
William Skyrme (1778–1823) was born and died at Island House and was Portreeve of Laugharne (1801, 1802, 1817). The Skyrmes were marine-supply merchants; their 65-ton sloop, the William Skyrme, appears in Lloyd's Register — the living link from the medieval quay to a working Georgian business.
The house passed through the town's leading families — the Whites (14th-century landholders, possible original builders), the Prydderchs, the Thomases and the Hughes — down to Jane Abra Hughes, sole heiress, who carried Island House to the Skyrmes. The boundary wall still bears a plaque: "rebuilt by Maryabra Hughes Skyrme AD 1837."
In the 20th century Caleb Rees, Deputy Chief Inspector of Schools for Wales, lived here 1943–70; his wife Dr Laura Powell was Medical Officer to the Welsh Board of Health.
Note: the long-repeated claim that Bridget "Madam" Bevan lived at Island House is unsourced and is not carried as fact.